Are you retired and bored? Are you looking for something to do with your time or to supplement your retirement income a little? Well here are some easy jobs for you to consider that will do just that but still leave you plenty of time to enjoy your retirement years.
- Flower Delivery – If you are retired but still able to drive safely this may just be the job for you. A flower delivery person is able to get outside and bring joy to people with the delivery of flowers or gifts for that special occasion. These jobs pick up around certain holidays like Christmas and Valentine’s Day and you will be quite busy. However, for most of the year the deliveries will be at a much slower pace.
- Flea Market Sales – Here isSW Florida we have several flea markets to choose from and they are perfect for seniors. If you have a lot of old junk that you want to get rid of or are connected to a vendor for small products, the flea market will provide you with an opportunity to get out on the weekends (generally Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and sell at your leisure. At the flea market you can set your own hours and be your own boss. You can control what you sell, when you sell it and how much you sell it for. You can earn a little extra money and still spend quality time with the family. The markets are also partly seasonal with the primary season open from November through March.
- Crossing Guard – Contact your local school district to find out about working as a crossing guard for the local school. You will get to meet the children and help them get to school safely. There is not as much flexibility as you will be required to work during the school opening and closing hours, but these are short hours during the school year. You will still have free time during the day to do what you enjoy doing while giving back to your local community. There will be some training and probably a background check required.
- School Bus Driver – Can you still drive? Contact your local school board about opportunities driving school buses. The hours will be similar to that of the crossing guards, maybe a little longer. However, you will have the safety and security of the bus – especially nice in rainy or cold weather. Again, the hours may not be as flexible as other part time jobs, but you will still have plenty of free time to enjoy your retirement while giving back to the community.
- Catering – The field of catering can be fantastic for seniors. You can work as much or as little as you want. You can simply fill in when needed or work full time, early mornings or late evenings. Or you can offer to work just the special events that you want to work. Anything from a dinner party to a full line buffet for a community event can be worked. Contact a local catering agency and find out what opportunities exist that will fit your schedule.
There are plenty of opportunities out there for seniors and retirees to work to supplement their income or, simply give them something to do to help pass the time. Find out what your interests are and be creative. The opportunities are there.
Photo Credit: Photobucket